My birth control failed. What do I do?
For countless women, relying on birth control as a safeguard against pregnancy is a common practice. However, it is crucial to recognize that birth control’s efficacy isn’t foolproof, and sometimes it may fail.
If you find yourself in this situation, it’s natural to feel overwhelmed with fear and uncertainty. Nonetheless, the key is to not rush to a decision out of panic. Instead, take some time to develop a comprehensive plan for your next steps.
Taking the Initial Steps
Should you suspect you are pregnant, first confirm it through a lab-quality pregnancy test and an ultrasound. At Your Options Medical, these tests are both free and private, providing you with essential details about your pregnancy and empowering you to make an informed decision.
Ultrasounds play a crucial role, irrespective of the path you choose for your pregnancy. They offer valuable insights by providing the following information:
- Viability of the Pregnancy: Around 20% of pregnancies naturally end in miscarriage. While a woman might continue to test positive for pregnancy even after a miscarriage, an ultrasound will reveal whether the pregnancy is progressing with the presence of a heartbeat.
- Gestational Age: Determining the length of your pregnancy is vital, as it directly impacts the options available to you. For instance, the FDA-approved abortion pill is only suitable for pregnancies under 10 weeks.
- Pregnancy Location: On occasion, an embryo may implant outside the uterus, leading to a life-threatening condition known as an ectopic pregnancy. In such cases, abortion is ineffective, and immediate medical intervention becomes necessary.
Exploring Your Options
Discovering that your chosen birth control method has failed can leave you feeling like your autonomy has been taken. Nevertheless, it’s essential to remember that you still have options.
Take as much time as you need to learn about all the pregnancy options available to you and before rushing into a decision, be sure to confirm if you are actually pregnant.
- Gather information about abortion procedures, potential risks, and recovery.
- Learn about various types of adoption.
- Discover the available resources if you decide to parent.
Quality Medical Care
Whether you choose abortion, adoption, or parenthood, your health and well-being are our priority. Our team offers free ultrasounds, providing you with the critical information you need about your pregnancy.
Additionally, our dedicated advocates are available to walk you through the information on each choice, ensuring you have the guidance and understanding you deserve. We are committed to providing confidential services and care you can trust.
Schedule a free appointment today.