“What is RU-486?”
“Is the Morning After Pill the same as the abortion pill?”
“How does the abortion pill work?”
These are all common questions we hear at Your Options Medical when discussing abortion procedures and risks with our patients. We wanted to briefly share some facts with you about The Abortion Pill (RU-486) to set the record straight on this procedure.
- RU-486 is an abortion
- No, the Morning After Pill and the Abortion Pill RU-486 are not the same thing.
- The Abortion Pill RU-486 is a two pill abortion procedure. See further explanation below.
“A medical abortion, often called “the abortion pill,” [RU-486] is a two-pill procedure. The first pill will cut off the flow of progesterone to the pregnancy, while the second will induce labor. Occasionally, the entire pregnancy will not be expelled from the body, resulting in the need to have a surgical abortion to finish the procedure.”
The Risks and Side Effects:
- Heavy Bleeding
- Large Blood Clots
(sometimes the size of a lemon)
- Nausea or Vomiting /
- Cramping or Lower
- Severe Pelvic Pain /
- Tiredness or Weakness /
think you might be pregnant and you are considering an abortion there are a
couple of things you need to do:
- You will need to have a lab-quality pregnancy test.
- You will need to have an ultrasound to confirm:
– How far along you are
– Assess for miscarriage risks and
– If the pregnancy is developing in the uterus. Abortion procedures are determined by this information.
- Discuss your options with someone who has no financial interest in your decision.
At Your Options Medical, we can provide you with the pregnancy testing, ultrasound, and time with our trained staff and medical team to discuss your options. We are ready to help you navigate through your questions and concerns regarding your potential pregnancy.