“What is RU-486?”
“Is the Morning After Pill the same as the abortion pill?”
“How does the abortion pill work?”
These are all common questions we hear at Your Options Medical when discussing with our patients abortion procedures and the risks and side effects associated with that procedure. We wanted to briefly share some facts with you about The Abortion Pill (RU-486/Plan C) to set the record straight on this procedure.
- Abortion Pill (RU-486/Plan C) is an abortion procedure.
- The Morning After Pill (Plan B) and the Abortion Pill (RU-486/Plan C) are not the same thing.
- The Abortion Pill (RU-486/Plan C) is a two pill abortion procedure.
It is essential for you to know that this is not just a simple pill — the Abortion Pill is a serious medical procedure. A medical abortion, often called ‘the abortion pill,’ [RU-486/Plan C] is a two-pill procedure. The first pill will cut off the flow of progesterone to the pregnancy ending the life of the human fetus, while the second will induce labor. It is important to note that there is the potential to see human fetal remains during this process. Occasionally, the entire pregnancy will not be expelled from the body, which would result in the need to have a surgical abortion as well.
The Risks and Side Effects:
- Heavy Bleeding
- Large Blood Clots (sometimes the size of a lemon)
- Nausea or Vomiting / Diarrhea
- Cramping or Lower Abdominal Pain
- Severe Pelvic Pain / Infection
- Tiredness or Weakness / Back Pain
With an abortion procedure, emotional side effects such as a sense of loss, grief, suicidal thoughts and trauma can be present. If you find yourself experiencing these emotional side effects and are in need of help, Your Options Medical offers post-abortion support. Visit hoperisingma.org or contact us for additional resources.
If you think you might be pregnant and considering the abortion pill, the following steps are required since eligibility for abortion procedures are based on this information:
- You will need to have a lab-quality pregnancy test.
- You will need to have an ultrasound to confirm:
– How far along you are (i.e. accurate dating);
– Assess for miscarriage risks and ectopic pregnancy;
– Determine if the pregnancy is developing in the uterus.
- Discuss your options with someone who has no financial interest in your decision.
Did you know the Abortion Pill can cost anywhere from $700-$1000?
At Your Options Medical, we can provide you with pregnancy testing, ultrasound, and time with our trained staff and medical team to discuss your options, at no cost to you! We are ready to help you navigate through your questions and concerns regarding your potential pregnancy.
Visit our other blogs to learn more about the Abortion Pill:
- Are There Serious Complications with the Pill?
- Are At-Home Abortions Safe?
- 4 Reasons Why You Need to Schedule an Ultrasound Before Taking the Abortion Pill
If you decide that you no longer want to go through with the abortion pill procedure, it is possible to stop the process! For more information see, What is Abortion Pill Reversal?