Reasons You Might Miss Your Period
On average, women have their periods every 28 days. However, this length may vary from woman to woman, as it is normal to have periods occur in a shorter or longer amount of time as well. Most women have their periods once a month and they typically last from 2-7 days. There are many reasons why you may miss your period, including the following:
- Pregnancy: If you think you might be pregnant, Your Options Medical is a good first step! We offer lab-quality pregnancy tests and ultrasound administered by trained professionals at no cost to you. Our tests are 99% accurate and can detect pregnancy as early as 7-10 days from conception. If pregnancy was not in your plans, we are here to help. Book an appointment today!
- Medication: Some medications may cause you to miss a period including birth control and the Morning After Pill (Plan B). Please consult your physician in order to ensure your best care.
- Stress: Stress can keep our minds in a constant state of activity thereby causing an imbalance in our body. This may throw off your cycle and cause you to miss your period.
- Exercise: If you have recently changed your workout routine, it may be affecting your menstrual cycle. This is not always concerning for your health, as your body may be simply adjusting to your new schedule. If you have any concerns, please consult your physician.
- Weight: Any extreme weight gain or loss can disrupt the balance of hormones in your body, which may cause you to miss your period. If you are experiencing unexplainable weight gain or loss, please consult your physician.
- Menopause: When women in their forties or fifties experience a change in reproductive hormones, this is called menopause. During the months before they reach menopause, it is normal to miss periods before they stop altogether. If you need more information on menopause click here.
As you can see from the brief list above, there can be many reasons why you might miss your period. If you think you might be pregnant, Your Options Medical can provide you with lab-quality pregnancy testing and ultrasound at no cost to you.