You may be surprised to learn that there can be multiple reasons why you might have a missed period. Let’s discuss a few of these reasons:
- Pregnancy: This is one of the most obvious reasons so of course we wanted to list it here. If you think you might be pregnant, Your Options Medical is a good first step! We can provide you with the first steps for medical services when you are facing an unexpected pregnancy. Book an appointment today!
- Menopause: Now I know what you’re thinking “I don’t even have any gray hair yet, this CANNOT be menopause!” You may very well not be approaching or even be near approaching menopause; I just wanted to include it here in the list as some women are not as familiar with this part of life. If you need more information on menopause, click here to do some more research on this part of your cycle.
- Stress: Now this is a huge part of our lives. Stress isn’t always just negative items that weigh heavy on our minds. Stress can be simply having a lot of things on your plate to think about “I have to catch the T at just the right time or I’ll be late for work, which will cause me to miss my first meeting which would then need to be rescheduled and I’ve already had to reschedule once so if I leave now I can just prep for the meeting on the T and be sure to get there on time.” “I have a paper due Friday so I need to work on that tonight since Tuesday night I’m working late, Wednesday I’m cleaning the house to prep for my mom’s visit to town, Thursday I have to leave right from work to grab her at the airport hopefully missing all the traffic so we can be home before midnight and Friday I have class all day…I have to get that paper done tonight.” Stress can keep our minds going and can cause an imbalance in your body which may throw off your cycle and cause you to miss your period.
- Weight: Any extreme weight gain or loss can disrupt the imbalance of hormones in your body, which may cause a missed period. If you have had any extreme weight gain or loss, it is wise to consult your physician on these matters to assure you are not experiencing any treatable health problems.
- Medication: There can be many side effects when it comes to medication so this may come as no surprise that certain medications may cause you to miss a period. Again, it is wise to consult your physician in order to ensure your best care.
- Exercise: If you have recently begun a new or different workout routine, it may be affecting your menstrual cycle. This is not always concerning for your health as your body may be simply adjusting to your new schedule. However, it is always wise to consult your primary care physician in order to put your mind at ease and ensure you are taking the best care of your body as you can.
As you can see from the brief list above, there can be many reasons as to why you might miss your period. If you’ve had a missed period and think you might be pregnant, Your Options Medical can provide you with pregnancy testing, ultrasound if certain criteria is met, and more at no cost to you. That is right, no cost to you!