If you are considering an abortion, there are a few questions to answer. Like all medical procedures, there is a process. Below we will discuss answers to 10 common questions about abortion:
1. What types of abortions are there?
There are two common abortion methods which include the Abortion Pill (RU-486) and Surgical Abortion. At Your Options Medical, both procedure methods and risks are discussed during an appointment to educate patients on what to expect during and after an abortion procedure.
2. How do I know what type of abortion to get?
Abortion methods vary depending on gestational age (how far along an individual is in pregnancy). In order to accurately date a pregnancy and determine which method one is eligible for, an ultrasound should be performed. Your Options Medical performs ultrasounds for patients at no charge. Click here to begin the process by booking an appointment.
3. How much does an abortion cost?
Abortion costs vary by clinic and method, generally ranging between $650 – $1,500.
4. Is the Morning After Pill the same as the Abortion Pill?
No. The Morning After Pill is taken shortly after intercourse, unlike the Abortion Pill which can be taken up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. For more information, contact Your Options Medical to speak with a nurse. You can also read our blog explaining the difference between Abortion Pill & Morning After pill.
5. What should I do before an abortion?
- First, take a medical-grade pregnancy test.
- Second, confirm if the pregnancy is viable (i.e. assess miscarriage indicators and if pregnancy is developing inside the uterus) and date the pregnancy through ultrasound.
- Third, receive information on abortion methods, risks, and procedures. Your Options Medical offers pregnancy testing, ultrasound, and information on abortion all at no charge to patients. Book an appointment today.
6. What about STDs/STIs?
If you are considering an abortion, you will need to know if you have an STD/STI, as receiving an abortion without treatment of an STD/STI can pose a threat to your health. Contact Your Options Medical for STD/STI testing referral.
7. Is an abortion painful?
As with all surgical or medical procedures, there is always a risk of both physical and mental pain. To further discuss your options, call or text our office.
8. What are some of the risks?
Some of the common risks include:
- Blood clots (sometimes the size of a lemon)
- Pelvic inflammation
- Perforation of the uterus
- Sexual dysfunction
- Life-threatening complications
To learn more, contact Your Options Medical to speak with a nurse.
9. If I am a minor, do I have to tell my parents in order to get an abortion?
In the state of Massachusetts, minors who are looking to receive an abortion must have parental consent. If you are a minor, think you are pregnant, and afraid to tell your parents, contact Your Options Medical.
10. What if someone is pressuring me to have an abortion?
It is illegal for anyone to coerce another individual to have an abortion. If anyone is pressuring you to have an abortion, contact Your Options Medical.