Your body experiences many changes during early pregnancy, whether they be hormonal or physical and this often leads to discomfort. Our nurses are often asked how to lessen the discomforts of early pregnancy. We have compiled a list of some of the most common discomforts in early pregnancy, what causes them and what you can do to help alleviate them.
|Discomfort||Cause||How to Help|
|Nausea & Vomiting||· May be caused by the changes in hormones during pregnancy (increased estrogen and progesterone)||· Keep your stomach filled- eat 5-6 times a day (protein filled snacks are best)
· Avoid fried and greasy foods
· If nausea occurs as soon as you wake up, keep crackers beside your bed and eat a few before standing up.
· Drink beverages that contain real ginger and or peppermint, such as tea or natural ginger ale
· Wear a motion sickness wrist band
· Try taking B6 vitamins, 3 times per day
· If none of the above alleviate your symptoms, your healthcare provider may prescribe a medication
|Fatigue||· Pregnancy hormones
· Changes in sleep patterns
|· Reduce your schedule
· Rest as much as you can
|Tender breasts & bloating||· Pregnancy hormones
· Your body is creating more fluid which may lead to bloating
|· Wear a well fitted, supportive bra
· Drink enough water
· Wear comfortable and loose clothing
|Constipation||· Pregnancy hormones can cause waste to move more slowly through your system||· Drink enough water (about 8 glasses each day)
· Consider adding prune juice or other fruit juice to your diet
· Eat high fiber foods such as; whole grain bread, bran cereal, raw fruits and vegetables and beans
|Frequent Urination||· Changes in kidney function due to increased blood volume||· Not much can be done, but be sure to have a rest room nearby.|
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and have not yet had a pregnancy test. Please call Your Options Medical today for your free and confidential pregnancy test.